August 16, 2012

We left camp this morning and drove to Ann Arbor to the Gerald Ford Presidential Library.  We saw his museum in Grand Rapids several days ago.  He is the only president to have his library and museum in different cities.  We stopped in Kalamazoo, Michigan at the Bell’s brewery.  We had a couple of beers and a really nice warm chicken dip with soft warm pita bread.  A lot of our friends told us to stop at the RV/MH Hall of Fame if we were ever in Elkhart, Indiana.  We drove there after leaving Michigan today.  This is a really neat place to visit and see old RV’s and motor homes.

Elkhart has painted elk statues in town like Houston had cows.  We stayed at the Walmart in Elkhart tonight.

I cooked the fresh green beans I picked from the garden at the fairgrounds campground.  Here is the recipe I used:

Fresh Green Beans


2 lbs green beans
4-5 slices of bacon - diced (I used maple bacon)
1 small red onion - diced
1 cup water
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper

Wash and snap green beans into 1 1/2 inch pieces.   In dutch oven or pot fry bacon and onions till browned.  Add green beans and remaining ingredients.  Heat to boiling, cover and lower heat.  Simmer 30 minutes or till green beans are tender. Stir occasionally. 

I put a splash of balsamic vinegar on mine after I put them on my plate. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment